VP, Software Engineering
About the Role
We are looking for talented, passionate Software Engineering professional with the skill and desire to help lead, grow, and contribute to our team. If you have experience planning, architecting and delivering mission-critical systems and software solutions, then we would love to talk to you.
About our Team
We believe in agile software development (lowercase ‘a’) and use elements from Scrum and Lean as a base for how we manage our work. ‘Inspect & Adapt’ is more than just a catchphrase to us. We pair regularly as-needed, but not as a rule. We are willing to have every problem under the sun, in exchange for never having the same problem twice.
- You will be responsible for a significant area of the technology team, leading multiple technology functions.
- This is a people & process role. You will be responsible for creating high functioning, engaged and motivated organizations, measuring and iterating on processes as we grow and evolve as a business.
- You will be responsible for balancing near-term product/business focused work with longer-term strategic technical development.
- You should have a strong technical background and enjoy spending time researching new technologies in order to stay abreast of trends in the tech industry.
- You will lead architecture design efforts, primarily by serving as the technically-savvy voice that asks business and product questions of the engineers on their teams. Your goal is to ensure that the software we develop not only matches the product and business needs, but also can scale appropriately as those needs grow.
- You must demonstrate “Systems level thinking”, incorporating not just the software development that needs to be done for given feature, but also the non-software pieces for a given initiative and any ancillary systems that are impacted by or connected to this feature.
- You are primarily concerned with ensuring smooth execution of complex deliverables. To that end, you focus on ensuring that we continually evaluate and refine our development/infrastructure standards and processes to create technology that will deliver sustained value to the business.
- You have a proven track record of building development teams and delivering software products.
- You are a strong leader, and set the example for cross-functional collaboration both between technology and other areas of the company, and across different teams within Technology.
- You are a very strong communicator and can simplify technical concepts in a way to explain them to non-technical colleagues, as well as take business direction and explain it to the technology team in a way that inspires and guides them.
- You have at least 10 years experience in professional software development and at least 5 years managing software developers.
- You have a BS in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience)
Shop Smart, one of Forbes’ 100 Most Promising Companies and a 101 Chicago Best and Brightest Organization, publishes deals and coupons from national retailers across a network of sites. The flagship, Brad’s Deals, is the largest editorial-driven deal site with over 5m monthly unique visitors.
Launched in 2001, the rapidly growing company has changed the way millions of consumers shop and is a leader in our space and in the Chicago technology community. We have relationships with over 2,500 top retailers (Amazon, Target, Dell, etc.), exposure to over 50M consumers a year and a consistent national media presence (USA Today, Today Show, WSJ, MSNBC).