Last updated 10am 5/12/13.
Here is a current list of what we think the top 5 credit card signup bonus offers are. Consider any of these “highly recommended.” If you’re new, we realize that it can be scary to apply for any credit card, much less many at the same time. Dip your toe in the water. It is worth it. These will be updated regularly as offers come and go. Please comment at bottom with news, questions or issues.
1. 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points with $5k in spending via this link for the Chase Ink Bold Visa. You earn 5 points per $1 on office supply stores and phone, internet and TV services or 2x for gas and hotels.
Value: $1,375 or 2.5¢ each. You actually get a total of 55k points: 50k from the bonus and at least 5k from spending. Points can transfer to United, Southwest, Amtrak, British Airways, Korean Airlines, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and others.
2. 150,000 American miles (“The AA Trifecta”), $100 in statement credits for AA purchases and two admiral’s club passes if you get all three of these different American credit cards and spend $10,500.Two caveats:
1) yes, the offer is not mentioned on the landing page; Citi does this all the time; it is OK, the offers will still post.
2) As always, you can and should apply for the business card by using your name as the business name. Check off that you are a sole proprietorship.
- Visa Business – 50k miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 4 months.
- Visa Personal – 50K miles after $2500 spend in 4 mo
- Amex Personal – 50k miles (40k for $2k within 4 months of opening + 10k after $5k within 12 months of opening), $100 credit, two admirals club passes
3. 50,000 American Express Membership Rewards points with $1,000 in spending on an American Express Platinum Mercedes-Benz; there is a $475 annual fee but you get standard Amex Platinum benefits including $200 towards airline fees (or gift cards in some cases) plus a bunch of Mercedes discounts
Value: $1,275 or 2.5¢ each. Points can transfer 1:1 into Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Air France, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America.
4. 2 Free Weekend Nights at any Hilton, including their Waldorf-Astoria and Conrad Hotels brands, with $2,500 in spending over 4 months via this offer. You also get free HHonors Gold status, which is normally earned with 16 stays or 36 nights. This means free internet, room upgrades and free breakfast, or bonus points. It is the best “gold status” of any hotel brand. Plus, each year you spend $10k, you get one more free weekend night.
Value: $1,250 or $1,00 from the two free nights when somewhat well used (it is certainly possible to get $700 to $1,000 in value per night) and $300 from the Hhonors Gold status.
5. 40,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points with $3k spend via this link for the Chase Sapphire Visa. You can also earn 2 points per $1 on travel and dining, and best of all, a 7% annual bonus on earned points.
Value: $1,075 or 2.5¢ each. You’ll actually get 43k points: 40k from the bonus and at least 3k from spending. Points can transfer to United, Southwest, Amtrak, British Airways, Korean Airlines, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and others.