October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a month and cause quite literally highlighted by the ubiquity of the color pink. With pink ribbons, every-possible-shade-of-pink clothing, pink donuts and cupcakes, and even pink apparel being worn by pro football players every Sunday in October, people and institutions will be wearing their support for breast cancer awareness on their sleeves all month long.
The American Cancer society recently released their Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014, a study that now projects that 1 in 8 American women will develop breast cancer in their lifetimes. This statistic speaks to how directly breast cancer can and does affect all of us.
Odds are, we all know someone who has fought, is fighting, or even lost their fight to breast cancer. And it sucks. It's not any more complicated than that. But we can do something about it.
Continue reading for a list of our favorite deals benefitting breast cancer awareness, more information about breast cancer, and a list of the best rated and accredited charities working to combat, prevent, and cure breast cancer.
It's become easy to get wrapped up in the camaraderie or celebration of sisterhood that Breast Cancer Awareness month has come to lend itself to, and that's certainly not a bad thing. Uniting to honor survivors and developing support systems for those immediately affected by breast cancer are crucial mechanisms in the fight against breast cancer.
That being said, we cannot allow ourselves to lose sight of the fact that breast cancer is a deadly disease that needs to be combated; not with pink ribbons, but with scientific research and patient empowerment through education.
According to estimates from the American Cancer Society's Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014, 232,340 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and another 39,340 women will die from breast cancer by the end of 2013.
While those numbers are staggeringly heartbreaking in their size and scope, breast cancer death rates have dropped 34% in the United States since 1990. This progress serves as proof positive that efforts to fight breast cancer are working but still in need of continued support and visibility long after October has passed.
Coming from a guy who really, really loves women, I can't bear to see any more of you babes lose your fight to breast cancer. So, ladies, (I cannot stress this enough) please do all that you can to prevent or detect breast cancer as early as is humanly possible.
That means getting regular exercise, cutting back on or eliminating the alcohol and cigarettes, and routine trips to the doctor's office. In terms of early detection, women 40 years and older should be having a mammogram and clinical breast exam every year, while younger women should have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years.
Below you'll find our favorite deals from retailers that are actively combating breast cancer by donating a portion of the proceeds from the following deals to charities dedicated to funding the fight against breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month Deals:
- Gifts For You Now: With two breast cancer awareness deals exclusive to Brad's Deals, Gifts For You Now are offering custom breast cancer awareness t-shirts for $10 (regularly $17.98) with the code BradBCA1 and a free Breast Cancer Awareness Beanie Babies Teddy Bear when you spend $25 or more and input the code BradPinkB at checkout. A portion of the proceeds from each item sold will be donated to breast cancer charities.
- E.L.F. Cosmetics: 100% of the proceeds from E.L.F.'s Studio HD Blush will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- True Religion: Purchase a pair of these Halle Super-Skinny Breast Cancer Womens Jeans from True Religion and 10% of the retail sale will be donated to Susan G. Komen
- Stila Cosmetics: This Stila Positively Pink Set for Breast Cancer Awareness is currently 50% off (while supplies last) and $1 from every sale is donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- CafePress: Show your support for breast cancer awareness with any of CafePress' breast cancer awareness apparel and accessories. From t-shirts to pins to tote bags to phone cases, 10% of the final purchase price of their breast cancer awareness products will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- PinkEPromise: PinkEPromise are a daily deals site that feature hand-crafted and boutique items (like this Chevron Striped Infinity Scarf). 5% of every sale is donated to The Healing Consciousness Foundation, an organization dedicated to providing access to holistic treatment to complement medicinal treatment and "promote overall health and wellness of breast cancer patients to help manage the physical side effects and great emotional strain that patients face during their battle."
- LOFT: Inspired by breast cancer survivor Giuliana Rancic, designer Suzanna Dai's Live in Pink jewelry collection is an exclusive line dedicated to promoting breast cancer awareness by donating 60% of each purchased item's final sale price to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Below is a list of our favorite charities working to combat, prevent, and cure breast cancer.
We made sure to only include charities that efficiently utilize their donations by spending a minimum of 80% of it's budget on programs and services in tandem with a commitment to transparency and accountability (according to Charity Navigator).
Click through any of the following links for more information on how you can help fight breast cancer, be it in the form of tax-deductable donations, volunteering, or participating in fundraising events.
- American Cancer Society
- Breast Cancer Action / Think Before You Pink
- Breast Cancer Connections
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation
- The National Breast Cancer Coalition
- National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
- The Rose
- Unite For Her
- Young Survival Coalition