On Valentine's Day, it really is the thought that counts.

On Valentine's Day, it really is the thought that counts.

There's a cheesy but magical scene in Spielberg's "Always" in which fire pilot Pete (Richard Dreyfuss) gives girlfriend Dorinda (Holly Hunter), a rough-edged character typically seen in blue jeans or a greased-up flight suit, a beautiful white sparkly dress. It's fire season, and the bar is full of fire jumpers, pilots and ground crew. Everyone is covered in soot. The dress practically glows in its box. "Pete… Girl clothes…" she gushes breathlessly, barely daring to touch it. "You like the dress?" Pete asks, amused and surprised and pleased with himself all at once. "It’s not the dress," Dorinda purrs. "It's how you see me." Cue the warm fuzzies.

Read More

5 Thoughtful, Frugal Alternatives to Popular Valentine's Day Gifts

5 Thoughtful, Frugal Alternatives to Popular Valentine's Day Gifts

Ah, it's February. Love is all around, and so are heart-shaped chocolates, unfortunate-looking convenience store stuffed animals, and constant reminders that you have not yet chosen an appropriate Valentine's Day gift for your significant other.

Read More

PSA: The Annual Price Gouging for a Dozen Roses Has Begun!

PSA: The Annual Price Gouging for a Dozen Roses Has Begun!

Just a quick and friendly heads up that the average price of a dozen red roses has risen 12.3% since January 1st.

Read More

The Ultimate Cold & Flu Remedy Round-Up

The Ultimate Cold & Flu Remedy Round-Up

Listen closely, and there's a chance you'll hear it: a stifled cough, a steady sniffle, a room-shaking sneeze. Yes, cold and flu season is in full force, and no matter where you spend your days, you're probably within close proximity of at least a few cold-ridden co-workers.

Read More

9 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues without Breaking the Bank

9 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues without Breaking the Bank

Studies suggest that up to 20% of us suffer at least a mild degree of winter blues. For an estimated 10 million Americans, the blues are bad enough to be diagnosed as Seasonal Affective Disorder. Here are some budget-friendly tips and tricks for maintaining your sanity through this last bit of winter.

Read More

The Best Time to Shop for Next Christmas is Right Now!

The Best Time to Shop for Next Christmas is Right Now!

After-Christmas discounts on decor, gift wrap, and everything red and green are deep and wonderful, enabling bargain hunters to find next year's treasures on the cheap today. But you'll have to move fast!

Read More

92% of New Years Resolutions Fail. Here's How the Other 8% Succeed.

92% of New Years Resolutions Fail. Here's How the Other 8% Succeed.

Over the next few weeks, you are going to witness an onslaught of ads for products designed to aid with every New Years resolution imaginable. But as deal experts we know that a resolution we don't keep is always a bad deal. So today we're taking a look at some of the biggest reasons resolutions fail, and what it takes to succeed. 

Read More

10 Delicious Meals to Make with Leftover Holiday Food

10 Delicious Meals to Make with Leftover Holiday Food

Leftover holiday food is a blessing and a curse. As delicious as Christmas dinner is in the moment, it can be hard to come up with creative ways to use those leftover piles of meat once the big day is over. After all, there are only so many ham sandwiches you can eat before you never want to so much as LOOK at a pig again.

Read More

0

The 18 Best Gift Cards for Everyone on Your List (+5 You Should Avoid at All Costs)

The 18 Best Gift Cards for Everyone on Your List (+5 You Should Avoid at All Costs)

Gift cards get a bad rap in the world of holiday presents for being a last-minute cop-out, which is unfair given the fact that a majority (58.8 percent) of holiday shoppers surveyed by the National Retail Federation said they would like to receive one. In fact, gift cards have been the top item on the NRF's annual gift survey for nine years and counting, so anyone who writes them off as a fleeting fad for procrastinators is dead wrong. 

Read More

Christmas Eve Procrastinators: Order Online, Pick Up In-Store and Save!

Christmas Eve Procrastinators: Order Online, Pick Up In-Store and Save!

Procrastination rarely ends well, but if you're STILL not done with your Christmas shopping, there's actually a light at the end of this tunnel, and it's called in-store pickup.

Read More