See our update below!
The new iPad dropped today.
At first glace, the new iPad doesn't seem to be a big change from the iPad 2, but you'll want to look closer.
The world is still rotating on it's axis, the laws of physics still apply, and there was no mention of Siri and her Easter Egg basket. The starting price points and storage amounts are the same as the previous generation, so the big question is, should you be rushing to get your pre-order in before the March 16th release?
Heck to the Yeah!: Reasons to Buy Now
- Retina Display. We heard all about it, some expected it in the iPad 2, and now we finally got it. This screen has a 264 pixel-per-inch density. That is 4 times more than the iPad 2, for comparison's sake. In real-world language: you literally can't see the pixels of the screen when you view it from a normal distance. Put another way: the resolution is a massive 2048 x 1536, so you might never be able to look at your standard 1920 x 1080 HDTV the same way again.
Check out Apple's comparison of the new iPad's resolution to a standard 1080p HDTV
- Similar form factor. The physical new iPad specs are just .03" thicker than the iPad 2, meaning cases will not be much of an issue. You should be able to use your iPad 2 case and take advantage of the massive range of cases already on the market, often at heavily discounted prices, like this offer.
- 5MP camera and HD video recording. Apple fanboys and girls finally get the better camera they've been yearning for (which is similar to the one on the iPhone 4S). Even better, like the most recent iPhone, it offers full HD 1080p video capture.
- The beginning of the lifecycle bonus. Apple junkies know that the earlier you buy, the longer you get to enjoy having the latest and greatest. Apple waited 342 days between the 1st gen and the iPad 2, and 362 days between the iPad 2 and the new iPad. So if Apple holds true to form, purchasing right away will give you about a year of my-iPads-better-than-yours status.
- 4G LTE connectivity. If mobile access is essential to you, this upgrade might be the deciding factor in whether you make a purchase right away, or hold off.
- Improved processing and graphics. The new iPad has an A5X processor with quad-core graphics. No surprise there since the display will require excellent graphics performance.
Rein it in, Cowboy: Reasons NOT to Buy Now
- Similar form factor. Yes, we know we mentioned it twice, but there are two sides of the coin. Since the form factor is pretty much the same, the iPad 2 is not going to *look* dated any time soon. So if you have one and are happy with it, you might want to wait.
- The iPad 2 price drop. Apple has announced that the 16GB Wifi iPad 2 is dropping to a low $399.
- No Siri (we think). Nary a word was spoken of Siri during the event. Did she get lost? Did she elope with the Newton?
- No refurbs...yet. Since it is only just about to launch, you won't find any new iPad refurbs. Over at BradsDeals, we are big fans of iPad refurbs, since along with the price drop, you get an iPad with a brand new case and battery, as well as the standard Apple warranty. Expect to see new iPad refurbs start to appear in 3- 6 months. If the normal 10-20% discount is attractive to you, it might be worth it to wait.
- The resale value of your iPad 2. Just a little speculation here, but you'll probably see a drop in interest when trying to resell your iPad 2 right now, but there is a good chance that will level out after a few months. At BradsDeals, we still see lots of eager buyers for the 1st Gen models, even though they are almost 2 years out from the release. Generally, Apple products hold their value well, so if you wait for the new iPad excitement to die down a bit, you could get a better deal when reselling on eBay or Craigslist. If you are planning on reselling, be sure to check out our info on how to Cash In with Old Electronics!
Are you preordering, passing, or waiting in line with the other Apple-obsessed? Let us know your new iPad plans in the comments section, and don't forget to sign up for Brad's Daily Alerts for the latest Apple deals!
Update! The big day has arrived. The new iPad is available in stores and at this very moment, eager buyers across the country have that pretty display in their hot little hands. Are you one of them? We want to hear from you! Tell us your thoughts, make us jealous, or make us happy we are sticking with our iPad 2, 1st Gen iPad, or clay tablet and stick.