The Shop Smart Scholarship
Eleven years ago this fall, I was in college and struggling to balance the myriad expenses - from tuition to housing to supplies to fun - that so many other students struggle to balance every year. Part of my solution was to skip the school store and make my back-to-school purchases online. I found incredible deals. The savings were vital, as they often are. I felt compelled to share what I learned and that effort to spread the word about the tips, tricks, coupon codes and great deals I was finding led to Brad's Deals.
Competition for $10,000 in Awards
Recognizing that my experience was far from unique, Brad's Deals is pleased to announce the second annual Shop Smart Scholarship Competition to recognize, encourage and reward students whose college experience is enabled by remarkable frugality, ingenuity, effort and thrift.
The five finalists will receive a $2,000 scholarship for the 2013-2014 school year.
1) Write a 500 word essay explaining how your college experience is or will be enabled by remarkable frugality, ingenuity, effort or thrift.
Example: one of many other things I did at school was buy a router and wireless cards (they were cutting edge then!) and sell wireless internet access to others in my building.
You can also read about previous scholarship winners for an idea of the sort of smart shopping strategies that our scholarship judges like to see.
Applicants are encouraged to discuss topics such as:
- student loans
- other scholarships and grants
- personal savings
- working full or part time while in school
- any other creative or remarkable approach to paying for college or saving money as a student
2) Break down your all-in educational costs (tuition, room, board, other) and how they are or will be paid.
Note: given the "shop smart" theme, there is a bias against both high annual tuition costs and student loans.
Essays will be judged on the creativity of the money saving strategies described, along with the overall remarkableness of the author’s experience paying for school in the spirit of thrift.
I wish all applicants the best of luck, and look forward to your entries.
How to apply:
June 16, 2013
- High school seniors and undergraduate students
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Current enrollment
- 3.0 GPA
- Not open to residents of Rhode Island or Tennessee.
Terms and Conditions:
- Winner will be notified by email by July 15, 2013, and may also be contacted by phone or by mail.
- By submitting an entry, you agree that all essays become property of Shop Smart, Inc. and BradsDeals.com and may be reused, repurposed or published.
- Winners may be required to verify enrollment, GPA or submit the Student Aid Report (SAR) derived from your FAFSA.
- Scholarship winners must submit a current photo and a signed publicity release granting BradsDeals.com and Shop Smart, Inc. permission to use his/her name and photo on its websites and in marketing materials including but not limited to press releases about the scholarship.
- See our Scholarship Rules page for complete rules, terms and conditions.