30+ Discounts for Local, State, and Federal Government Employees
We found 33 discounts that are available to local, state, and federal government employees in categories including car financing, electronics, insurance, cell phones, and travel.
Several readers have asked us about discounts for government employees throughout the years, and today we're making good on that request. Most of the discounts are in the travel category, given that government employees are often traveling on a per diem, but those travel discounts can often be applied to vacation travel as well. And if you need to finance a car (or defer payments), then some automakers' financing divisions offer additional benefits to government workers. Many of the perks listed below are even extended to retired government employees!
If you're active duty military, firefighter, or law enforcement, be sure to check out the discount lists we linked at the end of this article for even more savings potential.
- Hyundai - Government employees may be able to defer payments on loans financed through Hyundai Motor Finance.
- Volkswagen - Payment assistance may be available to federal personnel who finance their purchase with Volkswagen Credit. This benefit may be limited to participating locations.
- Apple - Federal, state, and local government employees get access to special pricing on select Apple products and third-party solutions for themselves and immediate family members.
- Dell - Save up to $500 off through the Member Purchase Program
- Microsoft - Discounts on select software through the Home Use Program.
- Samsung - Register with a valid .gov email address to gain access to the Samsung Government Discount Program. Discounts can be combined with most offers.
- Geico - Active and retired federal government employees at GS-7 or higher are eligible for discounts on auto insurance.
Cell Phones & Phone Service
- AT&T - 15% off the Mobile Share Plus plan
- Sprint - 15% service discount on both Sprint and Nextel devices
- T-Mobile - Employees of select government agencies can enroll in the T-Mobile Advantage Program. You'll get a $25 reward card anytime you purchase a new phone, device or tablet.
- Verizon Wireless - Monthly discounts are available to government employees.
Travel - Rental Cars & Other Transport
- Alamo - Government employees get special rental car discounts for both official and leisure travel.
- Dollar - Discounted car rental rates are available for government employees for both business and leisure travel.
- Enterprise - In addition to special government rates, Enterprise offers unlimited mileage in the continental US or Canada and no young driver surcharge when renting for authorized government travel. Enterprise does not have a leisure rate.
- Hertz - Government travelers may book special government rates.
- National Car Rental - Special government rates are available for both official and leisure travel. To get the leisure rate, use account number GOVRNR during booking.
- Sixt - 5% off your car rental
- Thrifty - Thrifty offers special rates to federal government employees at locations nationwide.
- Amtrak - Federal employees get discounted fares on travel in the Northeast Corridor. If you're traveling on business, the discount extends to coach fares nationwide.
Travel - Hotels
- Best Western - 10% discount for federal and state government personnel and cost reimbursable contractors with verified ID.
- Choice Hotels - Most government rates are limited to federal employees and cost-reimbursable contractors who are traveling on official government business, though "certain government/military associates" can also book government rates for personal travel.
- Hilton - State, federal, and military employees get a special government rate on both business and leisure travel.
- Hyatt - All government employees and Defense or Cost Reimbursable Contractors are eligible for special government rates. ID verification is required at check-in.
- IHG Hotels - IHG offers government rates to all government employees, including federal, state, county, and local, as well as Defense or Cost Reimbursable Contractors for both business and leisure travel.
- Marriott - Government hotel rates are available to qualified guests.
- Red Roof Inn - 10% off for active and retired government employees and certain government contractors, for both official and leisure travel.
- Wyndham Hotels - State and federal employees are eligible for special rates at participating locations in the U.S. and Canada. Blackout dates may apply.
Travel - Vacation Packages, Travel Agencies, and More
- CruiseDealsforFeds.com - Cruise deals just for government employees and retirees.
- Gov Vacation Rewards - Free travel rewards program exclusively for active duty military, veterans, government employees, civilian contractors, and their families. Get a free $150 travel savings card when you sign up.
- GovArm.com - Exclusive leisure and vacation travel services for active and retired government employees.
- Sato Travel - Travel agency specializing in discounted vacation packages for government employees
- TicketsAtWork - Employees of select government agencies get access to exclusive discounts, special offers, and preferred seating at events ranging from movies to theme parks.
- VacationDealsForFeds.com - Vacation package deals just for government employees and retirees.
Furlough Discounts and Freebies for Federal Employees
This section is for the temporary discounts that are on offer during the January 2019 government shutdown. If you know of any others, please mention them in the comments. We're especially interested in discounts available outside of the Washington D.C. area.
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Free movie tickets through the end of January for federal employees Monday through Thursday with federal ID at Ashburn, Woodbridge, Charlottesville, and Winchester.
- America Eats Tavern - Free sandwiches from 2-5pm with federal ID until the shutdown ends.
- Arena Stage - 40% off tickets to see "Kleptocracy" with code GVT40
- Artechouse - 20% off admission with code DCISOPEN
- &pizza - Free pizza with ID from 6-8pm daily
- Baked by Yael - Free coffee while supplies last for the duration of the shutdown. Plus, essential employees at the National Zoo who are working through the shutdown can get a free bagel sandwich or small soup every weekday.
- Beefsteak - Free Beefsteak Burger from 2-5pm daily with government ID until the shutdown ends.
- Breadfurst - Show your government ID to get the staff discount
- Brookland's Finest Bar & Kitchen - Get happy hour pricing with government ID
- Capitol Hill Books - 10% off with federal ID
- Capitol Lounge - $5 Shutdown Cocktails with federal employee ID
- Catch 22 - 15% off with ID or badge, excluding Happy Hour
- Commissary - $15 bottomless mimosas or bloody marys Monday through Friday with ID
- Craft Beer Cellar - 5% off with ID
- DC Reynolds - Show a government ID to get a $6 shutdown lunch special including a sandwich and non-alcoholic beverage from 11-2pm Monday through Friday.
- Dino's Grotto - Happy Hour pricing on drinks and antipasti for government employees and affected contractors
- District Doughnut - Free "Furlough Joe" coffee with any purchase.
- Fibre Space - Free knitting lessons from 2-5pm on Thursday and Friday
- Fish Market - $8 Manhattans and 20% off food with ID
- GCDC - $5 specialty cocktails every night after 4pm for furloughed employees
- Jaleo by José Andrés - Free Flauta de Jamon Serrano from 2-5pm daily with ID at the DC, Maryland, and Virginia locations.
- Little Havana - Half off all drinks with government ID
- Mad Fox Brewing Company - 20% off food with federal ID. (Members of Congress will be charged 20% extra, allegedly.)
- National Building Museum - Free admission with federal ID
- Newseum - 15% off admission with federal ID
- Shakespeare Theatre Company - 50% off tickets to see The Panties, the Partner and the Profit by David Ives. Use code SHUTDOWN18.
- Signature Theatre - Get 4 tickets to see the Judy Garland cabaret on 1/23 for $25 with a federal ID. Tickets include a free drink.
- Sweetgreen - Free Signature Bowl with government ID from 6-8pm on 1/11-1/13.
- Taco Bamba - Free traditional taco with government ID at the Chinatown location.
- The Brighton - 10% off food with federal ID
- The Queen Vic - 18% off with federal ID
- Woodrow Wilson House - Free admission with federal ID
- Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company - 15% off tickets to see BLKS by Aziza Barnes with code SHUTDOWN. Show your federal ID when you pick up your tickets at the box office. The show runs from 2/4-3/3.
- Zaytinya - Free Chicken Shwarma from 2-5pm daily with federal ID.
Outside of Washington D.C.
- Fazoli's (Nationwide) - Free Pizza Baked Spaghetti with drink purchase (regular or larger). Expires 1/13/19.
- Rosetta Stone (Nationwide) - Free 3 month subscription to furloughed government employees.
- B&O Railroad Museum (MD) - Free admission with federal ID
- Baltimore Symphony (MD) - 2 free tickets to the "Turangalîla-symphonie" concerts on 1/11-1/12 when you present a government ID at the box office
- Carmine's (NY) - Free sliders with federal ID + all day happy hour
- Colorado Railroad Museum (CO) - Free admission for federal employees and their families with ID
- Denver Art Museum (CO) - Free admission for 2 with federal ID
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science (CO) - Free admission for 2 with federal ID
- Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery (IL) - Free lunch and discounted craft beer for furloughed government employees from 11:30am-4pm daily for the duration of the shutdown.
- Juice Shop (NY) - Free breakfast juice with ID
- Mr. Y's Pizza n Fries (MD) - Free kids meal with any adult purchase with federal ID
- Pinch (MD) - 50% off dumpling specials for government employees
- Poor Richard's Restaurant (CO) - Free meal with government ID
- Reginald F. Lewis Museum (MD) - Free admission for 4 with government ID Wednesday through Sunday.
- Ruby Slipper Cafe (LA, AL, FL) - Free meal with federal ID, badge, or business card
- Seminole Casino Coconut Creek (FL) - Free lunch for furloughed employees and a guest at Fresh Harvest from 11am-4pm on weekdays. The offer is good once per day and up to 5 days per week. Furloughed employees can also get one free dinner per week at Sorrisi from 5-11pm on Friday and Saturday. Furloughed employees of the Treasury, Homeland Security, Interior, State, HUD, Transportation, Justice, Agriculture and Commerce departments who show their valid government ID are eligible. Both offers expired on 1/31.
- Sidebar (NY) - Free entree and Bud Light draft with ID
- Sushi by Bou (NY) - Free lunch with ID
- Sweetwater Brewery (GA) - 2 free beers with government ID
More Discounts That May Apply To You
Know of any government employee discounts that we missed? Add them in the comments!