Coronavirus Travel Change and Cancellation Policies
We’ve been keeping you up to date on the hour-by-hour changes travel providers are making due to the Coronavirus pandemic. While we’ve written one-off breaking news articles on important changes as they’re made, we wanted to put everything together into one post to keep things organized and convenient for you as you wonder how to navigate this new normal.
Note: These policies are current as of Monday, April 8th, 2020. We’ve linked to official sites where we could, so you can double check information at the source.
Airline Change and Cancellation Policies
- Phone: 1-800-474-7424
- Changes: Guests flying between now and 5/31/2020 can change without fees. You can make date changes online, but destination changes will require a phone call. Fare differences may apply. Vouchers are also available, with a 10% bonus applied. There is a 5 Euro charge per call to their reservations team.
- Phone: 1-800-237-6639
- Changes: Flights booked before 4/15/2020 can be changed to anytime until 2/28/2021. Route and date changes are free.
- Phone: 702-505-8888
- You can change/cancel your trip online with no cancellation fees
- You may change your flight to any other scheduled Allegiant flight(s) at no additional cost.
- You may cancel your reservation and receive a full credit in the form of an Allegiant voucher for future travel, which is good for two years from the date of the initial reservation.
- Phone: 1-888-247-2262; Reward Flights: 1-800-361-5373
- Flight reservations made before 4/15 can cancel for any reason, for a credit. Credits are good until 4/30/2021. Changes can also be made until 2 hours before your flight. This all also applies to Aeroplan award flights.
- If you have purchased a ticket* before March 31, 2020, for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, you have until September 30, 2020, to postpone your departure date without change fees, subject to the availability in the same travel cabin. Your new trip must begin no later than November 30, 2020. If you wish to travel on or after December 1, 2020, you can also postpone your departure date without a change fee. If the fare type mentioned in your ticket is not available, you may need to pay the fare difference. If you purchased a ticket before March 31, 2020, directly from their website or at an Air France agency for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, and you no longer wish to travel, please complete the online form on the website to obtain a travel voucher. This non-refundable voucher is valid for 1 year on all Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines, Virgin Atlantic and Kenya Airways flights.
- Phone: 1-800-252-7522
- For Flights booked before 2/26/20 for travel until 5/31/20:
- For Tickets Bought After 2/26:
- Phone: 1-800-223-5730
- You have until May 31, 2020 to change a flight reservation or ask for a ticket refund. The request can also be made after the scheduled date of travel. All passengers who purchased a ticket issued by April 3, 2020, for a flight departing from 2 February 2, 2020, to May 31, 2020, can request the following by May 31, 2020:Passengers who have had their flight canceledAll passengers in possession of an Alitalia (055) ticket whose flight has been canceled can request the following by May 31, 2020:
- To change your booking for another trip taking place by December 31, 2020.
- A voucher of equal value to the ticket purchased, valid for one year, to fly to any destination serviced by Alitalia.
- A refund of the price of the ticket or of the remaining value of the part of the trip which has not yet been completed.
All passengers with MilleMiglia award tickets, who decide not to travel, can request a change of reservation or choose to reclaim their miles and receive a refund of the airport taxes. To change your booking for another trip taking place by December 31, 2020.
A refund with a voucher of equal value to the ticket purchased, valid for one year, to fly to any destination offered by Alitalia.
- Phone: 1-800-433-7300
- Tickets purchased before April 7th, 2020 for travel through September 30th, 2020 can be rebooked without change fees. Customers who book March 1 to April 30, 2020 for all future travel can change their reservation at a later date without change fees. This also applies for award tickets and Business Extra award tickets for flights before 5/31.
- Tickets purchased by March 19, 2020 for travel up to April 30, 2020 can be cancelled and refunded, cancellation fees will not apply or changed, but travel must be on/before June 30, 2020.
- Phone: 1-800-284-2622
- If you have a ticket with a flight date between March 4th and May 31st, 2020, regardless of the booking date or the destination, you can now order your Avianca voucher and use it to reschedule your new trip. If you have a ticket scheduled to fly after May 31st and purchased it between March 4th and April 30th, you can change your itinerary without a penalty charge.
- Phone: 1-800-247-9297 (British Airways), 1-800-452-1201 (Awards)
- British Airways flyers between March 14, 2020 to May 31, 2020 can cancel your booking and receive a voucher for the same value. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. (I also received a full refund on redeposit fees for my award flight that I refunded.)
- Phone: 1-800-233-2742 (Cathay Pacific), 1-866-892-2598 (Awards)
- Waiving rebooking, rerouting, and cancellation fees for all tickets booked on/before March 23, 2020 for travel until May 31, 2020. If you rebook or reroute your ticket, travel must be completed by December 10, 2020. Asia Miles is waiving cancellation and refund fees for all tickets issued on/before March 23, 2020 for travel through May 31, 2020 on their partner airlines.
- +385-1-66-76-555 (this is an international number)
- Tickets up to April 19, 2020 for all domestic and international flights up to May 31, 2020 can rebook without rebooking fee. Changes are possible for new dates within 1 year of the date of issue of the original ticket. Fare differences apply. Origin and destination cannot be changed.
- Phone: 1-800-221-1212
- Delta is waiving all change fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. This applies to all domestic and international travel departing in March, April or May 2020, as well as all tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020. If your travel is eligible for a waiver, you can move your travel dates and even select a new destination. Your unused ticket will be applied toward your new flight, and in some instances a fare difference will apply. If the new fare is lower, you will receive an eCredit for the difference. If the new fare is higher, the difference will be collected. Credits are good until May 2022.
- Delta Status Changes for 2021
- For travel to/from all El Al destinations through June 30, 2020, no change fees or handling fees will apply. Ticket price differences to be paid. Cancellations are subject to flight ticket terms and conditions. All travel must be completed by April 30, 2021.
- Phone: 1-800-777-3999
- Customers with tickets issued on/before May 31, 2020 who are impacted with flight bookings for travel on or before June 30, 2020 can rebook their flights to any Emirates destination within the same region without a rebooking fee or paying any fare difference. Travel voucher for ticket value with a validity of 12 months from date of issue.
- If you’re scheduled to fly with Etihad Airways before June 30, 2020, you can rebook your flight for free, or use the value of your ticket as credit towards your next trip. Etihad Guest members, will receive with up to 5,000 bonus miles. Book before September 30, 2020, for travel until July 31, 21.
- Check website for route-specific guidance. EVA AIR also is waiving fees for award tickets for one reservation.
- Flights shut down until May 31, 2020. Guests are able to defer travel or retain credit for future use. Guests are requested to wait for flight notifications sent to them. Guests booked through travel agents and other third parties will be contacted by their respective agencies. You can also request for travel credits or defer your travel dates to a future date by filling out an online form that is listed on the Travel Notice page. If guests wish to change their travel dates, they can do so without incurring any fees (reissue fees and fare difference included) should they travel by June 30, 2020. There will be no reissue fees (fare difference fee will apply) should guests wish to travel after June 30, 2020.
- For tickets issued prior to March 10, 2020 and with travel through April 30, 2020, customers may make a one-time change to their itinerary without a change/cancel fee.
For tickets issued between March 10, and April 15, 2020, customers will be permitted a one-time change to travel plans without a fee.
- Policy varies by route, check website for specifics.
- If you have an Iberia ticket for a flight between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020, you can exchange it for a voucher worth the same amount to be used for a flight on a later date. The voucher will remain valid until June 30, 2021, and there are no restrictions regarding travel dates or destinations. Vouchers can be requested on the website.
- Change/cancel fees waived for customers traveling through May 31, 2020. Customers may rebook their flights for travel through October 24, 2020 online in the Manage Trips section of jetblue.com or contact them prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight. Fare difference may apply. For cancellations, funds will be issued as a JetBlue Travel Bank Credit, valid for 18 months from date of issuance.
- Any passengers with a flight scheduled between now and May 31, 2020 who would like to postpone their departure may do so, regardless of fare conditions and at no charge, or receive a non-refundable, but transferable, voucher (valid for 12 months.)
- Policies vary by route, airline shut down until at least April 11, 2020.
- 1-800-645-3880, 1-800-581-6400
- If you hold a ticket for a canceled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away. Existing bookings will initially be canceled, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged. To tickets booked up to and including April 19, 2020, and with a confirmed travel date up to and including April 30, 2021, the following regulation applies: The tickets can be extended to a new departure date up to and including April 30, 2021. You can also rebook to another destination. The new flight must be booked until August 31, 2020.For every rebooked ticket with new departure date on/before December 31, 2020, a discount of 50 euros on the ticket price is offered. Rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Fare differences apply, even with discount.
- Porter is temporarily waiving change fees. This applies to any Porter or Porter Escapes booking made before April 30, 2020, for travel within the next 12 months. The fee waiver applies to changes made at least 24 hours before departure of a passenger’s original flight.
- Qantas and Jetstar will be suspending all international flights from the end of March until at least May 31, 2020.
- Anyone holding a Qantas ticket for travel before July 31, 2020, can get a flight credit and retain the full value of your booking. You need to do this by April 30, 2020. The flight credit is valid for booking and travel by December 31, 2021. If you already have a Qantas flight credit issued on or after January 31, 2020, this will also be automatically extended but may take a few weeks to update in their system. No change fees apply when rebooking but please note that the flight credit can only be used towards a fare of equal or higher value than the original fare you purchased.
- If you’ve booked your flights directly with Qantas, and no longer wish to travel, you can choose to change to a new date, or cancel your booking and use the value towards a future flight. Change and cancellation fees may apply.
- If you have already booked or plan to book travel up to September 30, 2020, you can either change your date of travel free of charge, exchange for a future travel voucher with 10% additional value, or request a refund. With refunds: If your flight has been cancelled/disrupted, all applicable penalties shall be waived if cancellations are performed before departure. If your flight has not been cancelled/disrupted, any relevant penalties will be applied according to the applicable fare rules of the fare paid.
- Singapore Airlines is waiving all rebooking fees for tickets issued on or before March 15, 2020, for travel up to May 31, 2020, with immediate effect. Customers can cancel their existing flight itineraries, retain the value of their tickets and rebook their travel at a later date when they are able to firm up their new travel plans. The new flight itinerary should be completed by March 31, 2021.
- This new policy will allow customers the flexibility to defer their travel plans and applies to all bookings for travel up to May 31, 2020. All rebooking fees will be waived, although a fare difference may apply for the new itinerary.
- South African Airways is waiving change fees for all affected flights with travel dates through 8/31/2020. All tickets issued on or before March 25, 2020, and new tickets issued up to August 31, 2020, will be eligible to be used as a Future Travel Credit up until March 25, 2022. In some cases, SAA will allow you to nominate your Travel Credit to an alternate traveler.
- While Southwest never has cancellation fees, they’re waiving fare differences for travel between today and April 30, 2020, for flights to the same origin and destination. You can do this online by visiting Southwest.com/rebook. Look for flights that display as “Available.” Flights that show a price point are not eligible for a change without paying a fare difference.
- If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes before its scheduled departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase. However, Southwest is extending the expiration date of some travel funds. Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between 3/1/2020-5/1/2020, will now expire 6/30/2021. Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between 3/1/2020-5/31/2020, will have an expiration date of 6/30/2021.
- Spirit Guests who must alter their travel plans due to COVID-19 are eligible to receive a reservation credit for the full value of their reservation. This reservation credit can be used for up to 6 months to book any flight currently available (including beyond the 6-month timeframe,) and it can be used towards flights as well as other options (excluding 3rd party products.)
- You can change any flight for any TAP route and for any travel date if your original travel date is before 5/31/2020. The change fee will be free but fare differential is charged when applicable. Change must be made up to 24 hours before the departure of your first flight.
- Alternatively, if you are not ready to reschedule your new trip, we will email you a voucher, valid for one year, to be used toward the purchase of a future flight with TAP.
- Check website for route-specific guidance.
- For international tickets issued on or before 3/20/2020 for travel through 12/31/2020, you can either change your flights for no fee (one-time) if travel is completed by 2/28/2021. A ticket change can be made for a flight in the same region as the original destination. You also have the option of changing your ticket to an “Open Ticket” where you can cancel your ticket now and book any time you want later (one-time) if travel is completed by 2/28/2021.
- For domestic tickets issued on or before 2/20/2020 for travel through 12/31/2020, you can either change your flights for no fee (one-time) if travel is completed by 2/28/2021. You also have the option of changing your ticket to an “Open Ticket” where you can cancel your ticket now and book any time you want later (one-time) if travel is completed by 2/28/2021.
- United is waiving change fees for all tickets issued on or before March 2, 2020 with original travel dates of March 3, 2020 through May 31, 2020. If you’re not sure when you want to travel, you can cancel your trip and rebook later with change fees waived.
- For tickets bought after March 2nd, United is waiving change fees for all of 2020. You’ll need to make your changes before April 30th, 2020.
- Elite Status Changes for 2021 and 2022
- Change fees are being waived for tickets that were originally issued on or before 3/11/2020 for traveling up to and including 5/31/2020. All travel must be completed by 4/30/2021.
Hotel Change and Cancellation Policies
- Guests who booked a non-flexible rate with Accor for travel after March 1, 2020, may modify their reservation for future travel through May 31, 2021, without penalty by contacting the hotel directly. For hotels in North and Central America, Europe (except France and Italy,) the United Kingdom, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific: For a stay between March 17th, 2020 and May 1st, 2020, may modify their reservation for a future date to May 31st, 2021 without any modification fees (subject to availability and applicable rates and conditions) or cancel their reservation and be refunded without penalty. To cancel or modify your reservation, please contact the hotel directly.For hotels in France (including French Polynesia): For a stay canceled between March 1st, 2020 and prior to September 15th, 2020, guests may cancel their reservations and receive a credit voucher only for the full value of their reservation for use within 18 months. To cancel and receive a credit voucher, please contact the hotel directly.For hotels in Italy: For a stay canceled between March 1st, 2020 and prior to April 12, 2020, Guests may cancel their reservations and receive a credit voucher only for the full value of their reservation. To cancel and receive a credit voucher, please contact the hotel directly.
- Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before March 14, 2020, with a check-in date between March 14, 2020 and May 31, 2020, are covered by the policy and may be canceled before check-in. Guests who cancel will have a variety of cancellation and refund options, and hosts can cancel without charge or impact to their Superhost status. Airbnb will either refund, or issue travel credit that includes, all service fees for covered cancellations. In order to cancel under the policy, you will be required to attest to the facts of and/or provide supporting documentation for your extenuating circumstance.
- The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020. Cancellations submitted before March 14, 2020, will be handled according to the extenuating circumstances coverage in effect at the time of submission.
- Policy applies to any reservation for any future arrival date. The policy applies to hotels located in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean. Guests may cancel at any time, as long as cancellation occurs least 24 hours before arrival, and the reservation is canceled on or before June 30, 2020. Hotels will waive all fees associated with the cancellation of the booking. Applies to all booking channels. A more restrictive cancelation policy may apply to a limited number of high-demand dates at individual hotels.
- If you are a Best Western Rewards® program elite status member, we will protect your current status through January 31, 2022, without the need to fulfill the necessary annual stay qualifications.
- (888) 770 6800
- For guests with existing individual reservations, including reservations with non-cancelable, pre-paid rates made directly with Choice Hotels, they will allow changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival as long as the change or cancellation is made by 4/30/2020. If you’ve booked a cancellable rate, modify your reservation online. If you’ve booked a non-cancellable, pre-paid rate directly with Choice Hotels, you may now cancel your reservation using the online form listed on their website.
- For guests making new individual reservations directly with Choice Hotels between April 6, 2020, and 4/30/2020, they will allow those reservations to be changed or canceled at no charge up to 24 hours before a guest’s scheduled arrival date. Modifications can be made online.
- For guests with existing individual reservations for any future arrival date, including pre-paid reservations, full changes or cancellations are permitted at no charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival, as long as the change or cancellation is made by 4/30/2020. Fare differences apply.
- For guests making new individual reservations for any future arrival date, including pre-paid reservations with pre-paid deposits, between today and 4/30/2020, changes or cancellations are permitted at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.
- (888) 446 6677
- Our blog on the latest COVID-19 Hilton Elite Status Updates
- All individual reservations, even those described as “non-cancelable” (“Advanced Purchase,”) that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or canceled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- Any individual reservations you make, even those described as “non-cancelable” (“Advanced Purchase,”) that are booked between today and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- For customers who booked a non-refundable rate prior to March 19, 2020, for stays between March 20, 2020, and April 30, 2020, Hotels.com will email you in the coming days to ask if you wish to keep or cancel your existing booking. If you decide to cancel, you will be eligible for a full refund or, in some cases, a voucher allowing you to rebook the original property at later dates. There is no need to call them, but you must cancel your booking at least 24 hours before check-in in order to be eligible for this offer.
- Our blog on the latest elite status updates
- All existing reservations (booked April 1 or before) for arrivals through June 30, 2020, can be changed or canceled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- With some very limited exceptions noted below, reservations you make between April 1, 2020, and June 30, 2020, for any future arrival date, can be changed or canceled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations. The only exceptions are reservations booked after April 1, 2020, at Destination Residences and Special Events Rate reservations booked after April 1, 2020. The cancellation policies for a Special Event Rate will be noted in the rate’s Rate Rules section when booking.
- As announced earlier, special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020, for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible.) World of Hyatt points may be used toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally.
- (877) 424 2449
- IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels globally for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
- With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, IHG is reducing the Elite membership criteria required this year by 25% or more.
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, Marriott will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival, as long as the change or cancellation is made by June 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and June 30, 2020, they will allow the reservation to be changed or canceled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.
- Full cancellation and refund for bookings until 4/30/20. This is because every MGM Resort worldwide is currently shut down.
- Free cancellation/changes until 6/30/2020.
- (407) 939 4357
- Free cancellations up to 6/30/2020, waiving any fees Disney normally charges for cancellations.
- Guests traveling with new or existing direct bookings for stays in any of our hotels through May 31, 2020, will have their cancellation or change penalties waived if the request is received at least 24 hours (or less if permitted by the hotel’s policy) prior to arrival. Guests who are prohibited from traveling to their booked hotel under applicable law will have their cancellation or change penalties waived on direct bookings.
- For new or existing direct bookings with arrivals after May 31, 2020, all of our properties are required to accommodate non-cancelable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
While travel insurance is a major feature of some credit cards, it won’t be very helpful for traveling to a destination affected by the virus. If you yourself become ill or quarantined, most policies should cover that. If you booked travel insurance before the outbreak was officially deemed a known event, check with your policy provider for details on if you’re covered.
Should I Travel Now?
No. It’s not safe, goes against government guidance, and isn’t the right thing to do right now. Hold tight.