24 Travel Discounts Exclusively for Military Service Members
If you or someone you know is active military or a veteran, you can take advantage of numerous discounted rates for hotels, airfare, and car rentals. And because more than 21 million U.S. citizens are either veterans or active, that’s a lot of money to be saved. Note: Citi is a partner of Brad’s Deals.
While this is a great resource to peruse before traveling, we recommend always calling before you book. You never know if they have newer, better rates, or if old rates were tossed in the deal dustbin forever. So without further ado, here’s a list of more than 25 airlines, rental services, and hotels that go the extra mile for our beloved soldiers.
Military Hotel Discounts
Before we begin, let me reemphasize that it’s always a good idea to ask whether hotels offer military discounts. If none of the following chains fall into your sphere of travel planning, never underestimate asking. Odds will favor in your favor more often than not. It’s also a good idea to be a Veterans Advantage member because of the plethora of great benefits; and finally, always have your military ID at the ready when you book!
- Motel 6 offers 10% off at more than 1,300 locations for active and retired military members and their families
- Best Western does 10% off or more for vets, active military, and government personnel
- Red Roof offers 10% off for military, but if you have a Veterans Advantage card, you get 20% off
- La Quinta allows military members and their families to get 12% off stays
- Hilton provides 10% off leisure stays to qualified military guests at more than 3,600 locations
- Marriott has discounted rates for qualified military and government—we recommend calling to check before booking!
- OrlandoEmployeeDiscounts.com offers special military discounts to VetRewards members on Orlando vacation packages and theme parks including Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Seaworld & Busch Gardens Orlando, Legoland, and more.
- Staybridge Suites offers special rates based on established per diems at nearly 200 hotels
- Starwood Hotels has exclusive rates at participating hotels upon showing a valid government or military employee ID
- Choice Hotels offers 10% off more than 2,700 locations; search special military rates through this link
- Extended Stay America abides by TDY and PCS per diem rates at hundreds of locations
Military Flight Discounts
From evergreen discounts for service members to waived baggage fees, there’s almost always a discount to be had—in addition to that free drink at the airport bar. In most cases, you are able to obtain the discount by calling your airline directly. If in doubt, speak to a human.
- United Airlines provides 5% off flights for Veterans Advantage members
- JetBlue also offers 5% off flights for more than 95 destinations for Veterans Advantage members, plus two free checked bags
- Call Southwest Airlines directly at 800-I-FLY-SWA for special fares; you are also required to show a military ID at check-in; these rates apply to families of servicemen too
- Frontier Airlines waives baggage fees for active duty military
- Alaska Airlines also does free checked bags for active duty
- Hawaiian Airlines offers retired military with up to four free checked bags, and active US military get two complimentary checked bags; those with Veterans Advantage cards enrolled in VetRewards get 5% off fares
- Delta Airlines has discounted flights for military members, but you must call the Delta Military and Government Desk at 800-325-1771 for assistance (not advertised online)
- CheapOAir offers constant promo codes for military members.
- Lufthansa offers airfare discounts of up to 5% for military veterans and their families enrolled in VetRewards.
Military Car Rental & Ground Transportation Discounts
This is my no means a definitive list for car rental discounts; in fact, most car rental companies offer discounts for military. And not just discounts, either—some even offer damage waivers.
- Hertz has discounted rates, space available upgrades, and complimentary Gold Plus Rewards membership for military members
- Budget Rent A Car offers a 25% discount to Veterans Advantage members enrolled in VetRewards.
- Budget Truck Rental offers 20% off for military
- Sixt Car Rental does 5% off for former and active military
- At Avis, save up to 25% when you enroll in Veterans Advantage; call first to see how deep of a discount Avis can offer
- Alamo offers no additional driver fees, no underage driver fees, and a Collision Damage Waiver at more than 550 locations
- Penske does 10% off truck rentals; just show your military or vet ID, and if you’re an AAA member, you can get 12% off the daily rate
- Greyhound Bus saves military families with Veterans Advantage memberships 10% off fares.
Of course, travel discounts represent only a small portion of the savings available to those in military service. Check out our ever-growing list of 230+ military discounts for more!